Duratec Pigmented Hi-Gloss TopCoat is a self-leveling air cured polyester coating. The rapid complete cure will provide a hard glossy surface for patterns and molds. This exceptional coating is easy to sand and polish easily achieving a final gloss over 90 percent. The Hi-Gloss Topcoat will not dull during the mold making process thereby producing a shiny tooling gelcoat surface.
Catalyst (MEKP) is NOT included with this product but can be purchased separately HERE
For composite plugs, patterns, wood surfaces and other applications where air-cured chemistry and thin film cure is desired such as mold resurfacing.
Feature and Benefits
- Labor Savings- Smooth surface minimizes sanding. Patterns can be finished the day after the Topcoat is applied. Mold prep is also abbreviated due to high gloss transfer.
- Superior Finish- Porosity free coating produces glossy patterns that retain 98% of their initial gloss after mold making process.
- Resist Fisheyes- Unique additives reduce the risk of fish eyes and pinholes during the spray application.
- Air Cure Chemistry- Provides a complete cure even at 10 mils, 250 microns. Ester Primer-
Usage & Safety Guidelines - Fully follow comments pertaining to specific Duratec products MSDS. Thoroughly machine agitate, or mix this product for 5 minutes prior to use Refer to application guides for full details for using Duratec Products. Do not apply Duratec products at temperatures below 64°F
Recommended Application Procedures:
- Catalyst: Syrgis 925 is used for product development and quality control. Other 9% oxygen MEKP-type catalysts may be used. Recommended addition is 2% by volume, or 1.8% by weight. In hot conditions the catalyst may be reduced to 1.5%, in cold, increased to 2.25%. Always mix thoroughly.
- Duratec Pot Life Extender may be added to primers to double the pot life. Add 2% (after catalyst) to polyester primers (7## codes) and 0.5% to vinyl ester primers (17## codes).
- Thinner: Duratec Pattern Coatings can be applied through most spray guns without thinner. If a thinner is required, Duratec LAC-39 is ideal. Acetone is not recommended. Most commercial lacquer thinners contain incompatible solvents or high levels of water.
- Spray Gun Set-up: we recommend a HVLP Spray Gun. A 1.8 mm tip is ideal for the Duratec Pattern Coating. Primers will require a larger tip. Adjust the needle control and fan control to achieve a wide fan with good breakup. Use the lowest air-pressure setting that allows for good breakup. Lower air pressure reduces turbulence, thus reducing over-spray and orange peel.
- Pattern/Part preparation: sand with 220 grit. Wipe down with a rag wetted with Acetone. Do not use a tack rag, as many tack rags will transfer materials to the surface. Seek a dust-free area around the pattern to reduce contamination while the Duratec is liquid.
- Spray Technique: start with a fine mist coat. The mist coat should not provide a continuous film on the pattern. Allow two minutes for solvents to flash-off. Apply build coats of 4-5 mils, working in opposing directions. Allow 2-15 minutes between coats for solvent evaporation.
- Work at a 90° angle, at about 18" distance.
- Apply build coats before the previous coat has tacked-off. The coating should be wet enough to transfer to a fingertip. If the previous coat has cured enough that it will not transfer then allow for full cure and sand before continuing.
- Build at least 10 mils. Allow to cure fully. Sand, and wait at least eight hours before polishing.
|Typical Product Properties @ 77°F 25°C|
|Gel Time 2% Norox MEKP 925||20 minutes|
|Viscosity 20 RPM, #2 Spindle||400 CPS|
|Thixotropic Index 2 RPM/20RPM||2.5 Minimum|
|Weight Per Gallon||8.8 lbs 3.9 Kg|
|Coverage Per gallon @ 10 Mils|| |
Please view the Technical Data Sheet and Application Guide below for additional information on cure times, application methods, and equipment needed to properly use this material.
|Technical Data Sheet and Application Guide||Duratec 902-046 TDS|
|SDS||Duratec 902-046 SDS|
|Duratec Product Line||Duratec Product Line Brochure|
|Duratec Product Selector Guide||Duratec Product Selector Guide|
|Hawkeye Shelf Life Statement||Hawkeye Shelf Life Statement|