The ultimate High-Gloss surface primer for wood, MDF, tooling board and composite plugs, patterns and models. Unique air-cure technology for fast cure even with thin coats. Easy to sand, polish to a gloss. Take a mold directly off the Surface Primer or topcoat for the highest gloss.
Catalyst (MEKP 925) is NOT included with this product but can be purchased separately HERE
- Surface coat for plugs/patterns for composite tooling.
- Easy Sanding High-Build Primer for composite parts.
- High Build, Fast Sanding Primer perfectly smooth surfaces
- A Substitute for sanding gelcoat - epoxy laminates or pinhole-free surfaces.
- Highly crosslinked coating providing excellent chemical resistance
- Low Porosity- provides a super fine leveling and filling system. Applied properly, Surface Primer provides a porosity-free surface without pinholes or defects.
- Adhesion to most epoxies- with heat distortion level of 200° F/93°C the primer also adheres to fiberglass, wood, MDF, brick, concrete and polyurethane foam.
- Rapid Buildup- up to 40 mils 1000 microns, wet on wet, on composite plugs and master mold surfaces. Save time and labor.
- Easy Sanding-also saves time and labor. The primer cures to a surface that polishes to a gloss.
- Mix thoroughly with a drill-mounted mixer or paint shaker. Hand stirring is not enough.
- Duratec Surface Primer is designed to be applied when the ambient temperature and part temperature are both above 60°F.
- Catalyze with 1.75-2.25% MEKP Catalyst. Norox 925 works well. Mix well.
- Surface Primer can be applied by roller, brush or by spray. Spray with an HVLP Spray Gun, or with a gelcoat application system. Seek a fine spray, and use the lowest pressure that allows an even spray fan. (approximately 40 psi). A 2.0 mm tip is recommended.
- Apply at least 10 mils for even and complete cure. . Recoat before the Primer has set up and lost its tack. If the Primer cures completely wait at least eight hours, sand, and recoat.
- Additional solvent is not needed for most spray guns. If solvent is required, do not add Acetone or Styrene.
- Duratec Thinner is the best choice. Methyl Ethyl Ketone Solvent will work for most users. High quality urethane reducers are good choices. Lacquer Thinners are not recommended.
- Sand when the primer has cured. Start with the finest paper that will remove the surface profile. If sprayed well, 220 or 320 grit paper is a good starting point. Wait at least eight hours from the start of sanding before polishing or topcoating.
- Aqua Buff 1000 and Aqua Buff 2000 are good choices for compounding and polishing Surface Primer.
- Duratec Pot Life Extender will extend the pot life by 2-3 times, and does not extend the cure time (spray only).
|Viscosity as measured on a Brookfield Visometer Model RFG, Spindle #5 at 2.5 rpm||2700 cps|
|Gel Time: Sample based upon a 100 g mass, catalyzed with 2% Norox 925||16-18 min|
|Weight per Gallon||10.9 lb, 4.995 kg.|
|Coverage per Gallon:|
|10 mil thickness (wet-dry)||160 ft2 -125 ft2|
|250 micron thickness (wet-dry)||15 m2 -12 m2|
Please view the Technical Data Sheet and Application Guide below for additional information on cure times, application methods, and equipment needed to properly use this material.
|Technical Data Sheet and Application Guide||Duratec 707-082 TDS|
|SDS||Duratec 707-082 SDS|
|Duratec Product Line||Duratec Product Line Brochure|
|Duratec Product Selector Guide||Duratec Product Selector Guide|
|Hawkeye Shelf Life Statement||Hawkeye Shelf Life Statement|