The ultimate High-Gloss surface primer for wood, MDF, tooling board and composite plugs, patterns and models. Unique air-cure technology for fast cure even with thin coats. Easy to sand, polish to a gloss. Take a mold directly off the Surface Primer or topcoat for the highest gloss.
Catalyst (MEKP) is NOT included with this product but can be purchase separately HERE
- Surface coat for plugs/patterns for composite tooling.
- Easy Sanding High-Build Primer for composite parts.
- High Build, Fast Sanding Primer perfectly smooth surfaces
- A Substitute for sanding gelcoat - epoxy laminates or pinhole-free surfaces.
- Highly crosslinked coating providing excellent chemical resistance
- Low Porosity- provides a super fine leveling and filling system. Applied properly, Surface Primer provides a porosity-free surface without pinholes or defects.
- Adhesion to most epoxies- with heat distortion level of 200° F/93C the primer also adheres to fiberglass, wood, MDF, brick, concrete and polyurethane foam.
- Rapid Buildup- up to 40 mils 1000 microns, wet on wet, on composite plugs and master mold surfaces. Save time and labor.
- Easy Sanding-also saves time and labor. The primer cures to a surface that polishes to a gloss.
- Mix thoroughly with a drill-mounted mixer or paint shaker. Hand stirring is not enough.
- Duratec Surface Primer is designed to be applied when the ambient temperature and part temperature are both above 60°F.
- Catalyze with 1.75-2.25% MEKP Catalyst. Norox 925 works well. Mix well.
- Surface Primer can be applied by roller, brush or by spray. Spray with an HVLP Spray Gun, or with a gelcoat application system. Seek a fine spray, and use the lowest pressure that allows an even spray fan. (approximately 40 psi). A 2.0 mm tip is recommended.
- Apply at least 10 mils for even and complete cure. . Recoat before the Primer has set up and lost its tack. If the Primer cures completely wait at least eight hours, sand, and recoat.
- Additional solvent is not needed for most spray guns. If solvent is required, do not add Acetone or Styrene.
- Duratec Thinner is the best choice. Methyl Ethyl Ketone Solvent will work for most users. High quality urethane reducers are good choices. Lacquer Thinners are not recommended.
- Sand when the primer has cured. Start with the finest paper that will remove the surface profile. If sprayed well, 220 or 320 grit paper is a good starting point. • Wait at least eight hours from the start of sanding before polishing or topcoating.
- Aqua Buff 1000 and Aqua Buff 2000 are good choices for compounding and polishing Surface Primer.
- Duratec Pot Life Extender will extend the pot life by 2-3 times, and does not extend the cure time (spray only).
Please view the Technical Data Sheet and Application Guide below for additional information on cure times, application methods, and equipment needed to properly use this material.
Surface Primer Available in the following models 702-003 Black, 707-002 Dark Gr, 707-082 Light Gr, 714-002 White